University of Utah Logo / Link
Historic Fort Douglas at the University of Utah
Fort Douglas Logo / Link

Welcome  |  History  |  Today  |  Periods  |  Virtual Tour  | Walking Tour  | More Information  |  Disclaimer

Virtual Tour - Neighborhood #2

Neighborhood #2 on site map
Neighborhood #2

Building 28:  This one-story stone building, built in 1884, was constructed with stone salvaged from the 1872 bakery.  It served as the bakehouse until Building 644 in Neighborhood #3 was built in 1909.  After that, this building stood vacant until the mid 1920s when it was converted to an office and radio station for the Signal Corps.  After the radio station was moved to another location in 1930, that portion of the building was used for storage.  The covered entrance on the east side and the basement, which later became a garage, were added in the 1930s.  This building has also housed a veterinarian’s clinic, education office, and procurement branch office for Dugway Proving Ground.

Building 101:  This red sandstone building was built in 1886 as a stable for ninety-six horses.  In 1922, it was converted to a storehouse, at which time the interior was changed, a concrete floor added, roof trusses strengthened, decayed support timbers replaced, and new shingles placed on the roof.  The Civilian Conservation Corps (a New Deal program that engaged in land improvements, forestry, and fire fighting) acquired this building for use as a district warehouse in 1933 and built the shed roof addition along the entire length of the east side.  The following year, a similar addition was built along the entire length of the west side.  The Army has continued to use this building as a warehouse.

Buildings 122 & 123:  These buildings were demolished in 2001.  Building 122, a small brick building, was built in 1945 for use as a general storehouse.  Building 123, a small concrete building, was built in 1943 to serve as a diesel house.  Prior to demolition, it was used for general storage.

Building 100:  This large two-story brick double-barracks was constructed in 1939 to house 250 men of the 38th Infantry.  Some Neoclassical features are present such as the pilasters on the front and the dormers.  During World War II, this building was converted to an administration building for the 9th Service Command.  Since World War II, it has housed an Army Recruiting Center, headquarters for an Army Readiness Group, and the Army Reserve.  In 1988, this building was named the “James C. Bungard Hall” after Chief Warrant Officer James C. Bungard, food service supervisor for the 162nd Support Group, who died in an automobile accident in 1985.

Buildings 102, 103, & 105–108:  The 1901 designation of Fort Douglas as Regimental Headquarters resulted in the construction of many new buildings to accommodate the Post’s population growth.  Buildings 106–108 were built in 1904, Buildings 102, 103, & 105 in 1910.  Each two-story brick double-barracks housed two companies totaling about 176 men.  Each building had a dividing wall down the center with each half having a day room, kitchen, mess hall, dormitories, and quarters for sergeants and non-commissioned officers.  In 1936, the wood steps and decks on the first floor of the two-story covered verandas in the rear of the buildings were replaced with concrete.  In the late 1940s, the building exteriors were painted red. 
After World War II, all of these buildings were eventually remodeled to serve as classrooms, administrative offices, recruiting facilities, and medical facilities.  Each of these buildings originally had a two-story canopied veranda that covered the entire front.  The Neoclassical style was present in the Doric columns that supported the veranda.  Just prior to a 1982 survey of the Post’s historic buildings, the verandas were replaced with two small entrance porches that had an uncovered second floor balcony.  The balcony was later removed, roofs placed on the porches, and the original entrances to the verandas were either filled in or converted to windows.  The Army removed the red paint from these buildings in 2000.

Building 104:  This two-story brick barracks was built in 1910 to house a 33-man regimental band.  This building has changed the least of any of barracks on Soldiers Circle.  Only a small wood frame enclosure at the rear entrance has been added, and a small rear window has been bricked up.  By 1974, it was serving as the Post Headquarters.

Building 35:  This wood frame building was built in 1942 to serve as a fire station.  By 1982, it was being used as an ordnance administration building.  It is currently the only World War II era frame building being used by the military.  In 1945, about two-thirds of the Post’s buildings were World War II era buildings, the majority being of frame construction.  Nearly all of the frame buildings have been demolished.
Back to the previous site.

Welcome  |  History  |  Today  |  Periods  |  Virtual Tour  | Walking Tour  | More Information  |  Disclaimer

Continue to the next site.