University of Utah Logo / Link
Historic Fort Douglas at the University of Utah
Fort Douglas Logo / Link

Welcome  |  History  |  Today  |  Periods  |  Virtual Tour  | Walking Tour  | More Information  |  Disclaimer

Virtual Tour - Neighborhood #3

Neighborhood #3 on site map
Neighborhood #3

Building 109:  This small brick building was completed on June 27, 1910 to serve as a transformer substation when electricity was introduced to Fort Douglas, and it continues to serve that purpose.  A 1920s frame addition on the north end was replaced in the 1960s with a brick extension of about ten feet.

Buildings 110 & 111:  These buildings were demolished c. 2001.  Building 110,  a frame building with steel siding walls, was built in 1910 to serve as an ordnance storehouse and office.  The original wooden loading dock was replaced by concrete about 1939.  Building 111, a wood frame building, was built in 1943 to serve as a warehouse. 

Building 644:  This one-story brick building was constructed in 1909 to serve as the Bakery.  In 1971, it became a motor pool maintenance shop and a large rear wing was added, which contained six stalls with overhead doors.  It was probably at this time that the Neoclassical pedimented entrance portico was removed.  Sometime after 1982 an addition was added to the south end of the original bakery portion.  Both of the additions were removed in 1999 in preparation for restoration of the building.

Building 676:  This one-and-one-half-story brick building was constructed in 1905 to serve as the Guardhouse.  The Guardhouse was used as quarters for those soldiers on guard duty and as the jail, holding up to 40 prisoners.  The Neoclassical features of the building are found on the front porch, which exhibits Doric columns.  The porch was originally supported by brick piers and had steps on both ends.  Sometime prior to 1938, a concrete foundation was placed below the porch so that the area under it was enclosed, and the end steps were removed.  Prior to 1982, the rear portion of the building, where the cells were located, was converted to a maintenance shop and a large entrance with an overhead door was placed in the south wall of that section.

Building 638:  This one-story brick building was constructed in 1904 to serve as the Post Exchange and a gymnasium; it served as the PX until the 2002 Olympics.  It has some Neoclassical elements as seen in the squared columns on the front porch entrance and the dentils under the eaves.  Originally, there were steps that led up to the front entrance from the side of the building where the stairs now go to the basement.  This change probably occurred in 1939 when the wood porch and steps were replaced with concrete.  The brick addition/entrance on the east of the building was constructed circa 1970.

Building 640:  This one-story brick building was constructed in 1910 to house a bowling alley.  The roof on the main portion was originally lower than the roofs of the wings, but sometime prior to 1940 it was raised to the same height.  On the east side, a different style brick covers an area in the center of the building indicating that a large hole had been made and then filled in.  This may have been necessary in order to install laundry equipment when the building was converted to a laundry in the 1970s.  It later became offices.

Building 636:  This one-story brick building with a two-story front section was constructed in 1932 as a War Department theater.  The name was changed to Post Theater in the late 1940s.  The front portion of the building displays a Neoclassical style that leans more toward Roman than Greek.  There were originally two doors on either side of the front entrances that provided exterior access to the restrooms.  These doors were later removed and glass block inserted in their place.  As part of the pre-Olympic renovation of this building, false doors replaced the glass block to restore the building’s historic appearance.
Back to the previous site.

Welcome  |  History  |  Today  |  Periods  |  Virtual Tour  | Walking Tour  | More Information  |  Disclaimer

Continue to the next site.