University of Utah Logo / Link
Historic Fort Douglas at the University of Utah
Fort Douglas Logo / Link

Welcome  |  History  |  Today  |  Periods  |  Virtual Tour  | Walking Tour  | More Information  |  Disclaimer

Virtual Tour - Neighborhood #6

Neighborhood #6 on site map
Neighborhood #6

Buildings 616 & 617:  These duplexes were built in 1884 to house officers and their families.  They are similar to Building 602 in Neighborhood #5 and are often referred to as “the twins.”  They were constructed using the same basic plan and the same bargeboard trim as those on Officers Circle.  However, these are of frame construction.  Each was originally T-shaped and two stories.  In 1928, a one-story addition was added to the rear of each building.  A newer mudroom flanks the dining room on each side of these duplexes. 
 In the 1930s, the wooden front porch decks were replaced with concrete by WPA workers.  The turned wood posts that originally supported the porches were replaced with wrought iron in the 1950s.  Some of the original six-over-six double-hung windows have been replaced.  The original novelty siding and the chamfered window trim were covered with aluminum siding sometime between 1962 and 1980.  However, these can still be seen in the mudrooms.  The original scrolled bargeboards have been covered with aluminum.

Buildings 802-804:  The Chapel Glen residence halls house first-year students and upperclassmen in furnished single and double occupancy rooms with semi-private baths in communities of 24–28 students.  Each floor has a study room, laundry room, kitchenette, fitness room, workroom, and offices.  Large living rooms and community spaces are centrally located to provide a comfortable living environment.  The study spaces take advantage of the prominent views of the mountains and the Heritage Center. 
Roof form, gables, and roof pitch reflect that of the clapboard houses known as “the twins.”  The sandstone color rusticated base and off-white or crème horizontal siding allow the white of the historic frame buildings to maintain their distinction.  The arrangement of the new buildings around “the twins” creates an intimate cloistered neighborhood.  The new buildings embrace the lawn and mature trees surrounding “the twins.”  Their entrances focus on the green space reinforcing the area as its own community. 
Each building has a stained-glass window that depicts a view of the Wasatch Mountains and a season: spring, fall, and winter.  These windows were designed, fabricated, and donated by Anne Racer.
Back to the previous site.

Welcome  |  History  |  Today  |  Periods  |  Virtual Tour  | Walking Tour  | More Information  |  Disclaimer

Continue to the next site.